Community involvement is ingrained in SMP’s organizational core values and is a cornerstone of our Wellness Program. Over the years SMP has supported the mission of countless service organizations and charity events, some of which have grown into long standing relationships.
The COVID-19 pandemic changed how many of us work but it has not changed the values of SMP or the priorities of the Wellness Program. The needs of our community service partners have either remained unchanged or have grown in scope and urgency. For example, a team member at Foodlink, the Rochester area Feeding America Foodbank, shared with me that food insecurity is expected to rise in our 10-county region by 45%.
The pandemic forced the Wellness Program to be nimble and offerings to be designed for a virtual experience. Our community service efforts were no exception. With creativity and persistence, SMP has continued to support many noble causes in our community.
As 2020 comes to a close, the SMP family will:
- Deliver carved pumpkins to the Rochester Ronald McDonald House for seasonal decorating
- Sponsor the (virtual) East Avenue Grocery Run which benefits hunger-relief programs in our area (consider participating and/or fundraising to show your support)
- Write and donate holiday cards to be included in care packages for deployed service members in conjunction with Blue Star Mothers Roc
- Participate in a virtual food drive to benefit Foodlink; to donate to this virtual food drive click here.
- Participate in a virtual coat, hat, glove and scarf drive in partnership with Action for a Better Community
Our team supports these initiatives with inspiring and heartwarming passion. This generous spirit is part of what makes SMP a great place to work.